What is Viasat Internet (formerly Exede)?
Viasat Internet (formerly Exede) is high-speed internet beamed directly to your home from our satellites in space. This means you can get a fast internet connection where you live – almost anywhere in the United States.
- In all 50 states, covering 98 percent of the U.S. population
- In areas where other internet companies offer slower service – or no service at all
- People who live on the edge of urban areas, where other internet options may be too slow
- People who have trouble getting fast internet because they live in rural or remote areas
- People who want internet and phone service bundled together in one affordable package
Viasat Internet is not a good option for “cord cutters” who want to get all their television and movie via online streaming. Because Viasat Internet has a data allowance, it is not a good solution for families who use very large amounts of data.
- It’s quick. Our 12 Mbps download speeds* are faster than typical DSL or 4G/LTE mobile service. In select areas, you can get up to 50 Mbps speeds
- It’s affordable. Your monthly internet service charge won’t go up for at least 2 years – guaranteed. Plus, there are never any automatic overage fees on our residential service.
- It’s simple. Installation typically takes just 2-3 hours. Once you’re connected, managing your account is easy with our online portal.
- Let’s say you’re on your laptop or mobile device and you click on your favorite website. Your request goes to your Viasat modem, then through a short cable to the dish outside your home.
- Your dish beams your request up to our satellite.
- Our satellite sends your request down to a gateway station connected to our ground network.
- The station relays your request to your favorite website.
- The website delivers the information your requested back to the station, which sends it up to our satellite to be beamed directly to you.
What equipment do I need?
Viasat Satellite Dish
The Viasat Internet dish is about the same size as a satellite TV dish. A Viasat technician will help you choose the best location for the dish, such as on the roof or side of your home. (You need an official Viasat dish to use Viasat Internet – you cannot use a satellite TV dish.)
Viasat WiFi Modem and Gateway
Viasat modems and gateways are about the size of a large book. Our new Viasat WiFi modem and gateway includes a built-in wireless router and an adapter for our Voice service.